Savour the goodness of this well balanced salad with creamy avocado chunks, crisp spring mix, and refreshing cucumber slices. This versatile salad serves as a satisfying standalone lunch when paired with your favourite protein or adds a burst of freshness as a delightful side to any dinner. My nutritionist friends love making this salad. So I'm naming it in honour of my friends.
Avocado is nutrient-rich superfood known for their monounsaturated fats and a source of potassium, promoting cardiovascular health. Packed with fibre and fat, they aid digestion and make you feel satiated.
Spring mix typically comprises a blend of young, bitter greens including varieties like baby lettuces, spinach, arugula, chard, green leaf lettuce, mizuna, tango, green leaf oak, green chard, arugula, red leaf lettuce, lolla rosa, radicchio, red chard, and/or red oak. Spring mix is a great source of vitamins and minerals. The bitter taste stimulates the production of digestive juices and enzymes, aiding in the breakdown of nutrients. When we consume bitter greens or foods, it triggers the release of gastric juices, promoting better digestion and nutrient absorption. This natural process not only enhances digestion but also supports overall gut health and nutrient utilization in our bodies.
Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants, including lycopene, which has been linked to a reduction of aromatase activity which is beneficial to prostate and . The high levels of vitamins A and C in tomatoes contribute to skin health, immune function, and vision. Additionally, the presence of potassium in tomatoes supports heart health by helping keep blood pressure healthy.
Cucurbitacins, present in cucumbers, offer a range of health benefits. These antioxidants combat inflammation by inhibiting key inflammatory mediators. With antitumor properties, they show promise in hindering cancer growth, while also displaying anti-atherosclerotic effects by curbing lipid oxidation. In traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), cucumbers are believed to aid toxin removal and alleviate inflammation from the body.
Nutritionist Favourite Avocado Spring Mix Salad
Total Time 15min
1 avocado, diced into chunks
1 (5 oz / 142g) organic baby spring mix
1 organic long English cucumber, diced into chunks
2 organic tomatoes, diced into chunks
Quick Balsamic Dressing:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 clove crushed garlic or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Prepare Ingredients: Dice the avocado, cucumber, and tomatoes into bite-sized chunks.
2. Assemble Salad: In a large mixing bowl, combine the baby spring mix, diced avocado, cucumber, and tomatoes.
3. Make Quick Balsamic Dressing: In an air-tight mason jar, add extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, crushed garlic or garlic powder, salt, and freshly ground pepper. Close the lid and shake vigorously to emulsify. If you save this dressing for later, make sure to shake well each time before using.
4. Dress Right Before Serving:Pour the quick balsamic dressing over the salad right before serving to maintain freshness and prevent wilting.
5. Toss Gently: Gently toss the salad to evenly coat the ingredients with the quick balsamic dressing.
Serve Immediately: Divide the dressed salad into four serving plates and serve immediately for optimal flavor and texture.
Storage Tip: To save the remaining salad, store the spring mix separately from the diced vegetables and avocado in a glass container. Keep the quick balsamic dressing in a separate small container. Combine everything just before serving to keep the salad crisp and flavorful.
Enjoy this quick and delicious avocado and spring mix salad!